When I first started playing around in the world of mixed media art, I used to wonder what the point of collage was. Sure the scrapbook papers were pretty and fun to sort through, but why bother if we're just going to paint all over it later?
Now that I've been at this for a while, I finally get just how many points collage has!!
Starting an art journal spread or canvas with a layer of collage is like a warm up exercise for a mixed media artist! Collage can actually help you clear your head, get your creative juices flowing, help you overcome creative block and even help you figure out how to choose a color palette for your painting layer.
See the texture in her cheek? That's the magic of collage!
Join me in my studio for a behind the scenes peek at my favorite collage materials from upcycled thrift store gems like vintage books and sheet music to fancy collage paper by Tim Holtz!
I also demo adhesive supplies like matte medium (my FAV!), glossy medium, and gel medium (so you don't have to buy them ALL!), explain WHY you don't want to do your collage layer with mod podge, and show you my favorite mixed media collage techniques. If you've been following along in the "Hamburger Series," this is Video #3.
Tuesday's at 2 pm EST is when I hang out LIVE on my YouTube channel! This past Tuesday I did a half hour lesson on how to fix the following problems with eye drawings like:
* Preventing uneven Eyes!
* Preventing and fixing eyes that look too huge.
* Eyes that are too close together.
* Eyes that aren't the correct shape.
* Tips for making one eye match the other.
* Why and how not to skip the important tear duct.
* How to correctly size the iris and pupil.
* How to make eyelashes using proper placement and directionality.
* And lastly, I give you my secret cheat that both rescues bulbous eyes while making amazing makeup affects!
I hope you learn something new today!